Surf meister!!!!



How's it hanging dudes and dudesses?!
I'm now officially one of the coolest people on the planet (according to Louis, one of our surf 'gurus' on the surf camp at Arrawarra Beach) because I've caught waves and surfed!!! :) Yes and above is the photographic evidence to prove it.
Ok so the 'wipeout' shot in the middle is not very encouraging, but it's funny!!! I was Xtra Hot in my wetsuit (that's actually what it was called, I'm not being cocky!) but it took quite a while for me to stand up. We had 2 surfing lessons. We arrived on the afternoon and had one for a few hours at around 5pm and then it was 7am the following morning to hit the waves.
The afternoon was a bit of a wipeout (as you can see from middle pic) due to the fact that I had a board that was too big for me that I couldn't carry! I had very little joy the first day but I was not going to be deterred (unlike some people on the Oz Experience bus) and my blind 'glutton for punishment attitude' paid off the second morning (the smaller board helped too, plus smaller waves) when I caught my first wave (see the bottom shot). YAY!!!! I've now done the 2 things I've always wanted to do since seeing the film 'Point Break' - surfed and skydived. And lived to tell the tale. Totally rad dude! ;) I managed to get up on the board 3 times too. I was rather elated (see elation in the top photo with my instructor Ally).
It was awesome and I enjoyed it but it was hard work. Total respect to surfers man, they make it look so easy. I had a hard enough time just standing up in the surf, let alone trying to get onto the board. I managed it though (ok, so I think Ally was holding the board for me, but hey, I won't tell if you won't). What an experience.
They showed the DVD of 'Point Break' on the Oz bus to Kroombit Cattle Station too so I was a very happy bunny for a couple of hours and could now say I've done that! :)
Kroombit was another experience entirely and one I'd like to forget. It was muddy (due to rain), the accommodation was basically 3 bunk beds in a stable that had a corrugated iron roof stuck on the top. There was bird shit on my pillow and all manner of insects in the sheets. We had to pay $22 for the privilege of staying here. We all slept fully clothed with the lights on! I learned to lassoo a goat, crack a whip and watched some mechanical bull riding - still not worth $22 though. Still, what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. :) It's all part of the fun!!!!
Catch ya all later. x


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home