Life is short. See the world.

Friday, February 16, 2007

The Socialist Republic of Vietnam









Well howdy!
You'll all be relieved to know that we made it to Vietnam without any bother. Apart from rather abrupt air hostesses, the flight went without a hitch.
So we're now in the Socialist Republic of Vietnam no less, and you can't really forget that fact because there are red flags with the yellow hammer and sickle or the yellow star, flying everywhere. They're very patriotic here. Moreso than Thailand I'd say.
And they're crazy drivers too. You know when people joke and say you should make the most of life because you could get run over by a bus tomorrow. You don't take them seriously do you: well it could very easily happen here - but it wouldn't be a bus that would kill you, it would be a motorbike.
The city has 3 million inhabitants and 2 million motorbikes! It's affectionately known as the City of Motorbikes. You're getting an idea of how many there are now? Well, if not, just take a look at the third photo down. Still not convinced? Well let me tell you that next time you're worried about cramming a load of stuff into your car, sod it and just get a motorbike: cos they can carry everything (see fourth photo), and I mean everything. The tour guide on our Halong Bay trip said that they can carry 250 chickens in one go! Now we haven't seen that, but we have seen them loaded up beyond belief with boxes and even the odd khumkwat tree (these are placed in homes and in the front of shops for good luck and prosperity during 'Tet' or New Year).
You have to cross the street very slowly so that the traffic can swerve around you - and trust me, this is safer done in a group of 3 or more. And forget pedestrian crossings - they mean nothing. The same for red lights. And our Halong Bay tour guide also informed us that many of the people in charge of these motorbikes don't have licences. The car drivers do - but hey, there aren't as many of those so don't worry!! ;)
In fact, it is Tet tomorrow - 17 Feb. It coincides with Chinese New Year. So we'll be heading back to the madness of Hanoi tomorrow to see the fireworks and enjoy the festivities.
So far in Hanoi, we walked past St Joseph's Cathedral (there are some very French restaurants and bistros here, and more baguettes - again, Vietnam was a former French colony), have seen a water puppet show (really fantastic - see photo seven)) visited Ho Chi Minh as he lay in state at the mausoleum (I'm glad that was free as it's rather macabre - see photo six), walked round the museum dedicated to him next door (although sadly I was none the wiser when I left than I was when I walked in), and the beautiful Temple of Literature (which really reminded me of Japan - much more subdued and the way I like it. I miss Japan).
I got my hair cut for just $14 in a very nice establishment in the only shopping mall we found (in the bottom of a very swanky hotel complex) - I nearly went in Toni and Guy cos they have that here, but I refrained. I got there in a cyclo: a bicycle with not a side car, but a front car (see photo five, great fun but slightly unnerving in all the traffic). Again, like Laos, there are no chain stores as such and we've only been able to find 2 mini marts for food, but we're eating out anyway so that's not really an issue.
The people here seem to be much more abrupt though - they prod and poke you out of the way if you're in their path, and when you order in a restaurant many of them address you as 'you' and don't seem to possess manners, but I think that's just their way. I haven't seen a single monk or proper temple yet. Even the pagodas are disappointing with either only one storey or they are paltry miniature versions.
But Andy had a go at selling some wares around the city (see photo one), can't say he got many takers. The lady who let him try on her scale-like vessel made more cash: out of us for taking a photo!
We caught a junk boat to Halong Bay (see photo two) yesterday: a bay around 3 hours away from the city with spectacular limestone cliffs jutting out of the sea. I've been looking forward to this for months and this was the highlight of my time in Vietnam: until we got here. The weather is crap and misty. Now sometimes this is a good thing and makes for really atmospheric photos, however, this time it didn't. How annoying, as in the sunshine I'm sure it's stunning.
Our guide doesn't seem to tell us much either. We stopped off at a cave yesterday afternoon and he tried to tell us that certain caves looked like a puma or a Buddha and such like. Frankly we just couldn't see it. I thought my imagination was seriously lacking until the tour guide with the group next to us said the 'puma' was actually the 'head of a crocodile' - it was at that point that I realised the guides were making it up and didn't actually know much about the cave. How annoying. Andy's revelation that he saw the Millenium Falcon in one rock formation was far more believeable. ;)
It was the same at the next island we stopped at: there was a tori gate-esque style structure at the base near a beach (although it was a sandy colour, not red) and then a series of steps up a hill to see the view. That was it. We could go for a swim if we wanted but quite frankly we didn't want to.
This morning we went on a 'trek': more like a bloody dangerous mountain climb. The forest floor was really slippery and it's a miracle that none of the group slipped and broke their necks. It was good exercise but upon reaching the top there was a very rusty tower we could climb to see the views - with just a plank of wood and a bit of steel separating us from a very large no doubt fatal drop. Hmmm. We didn't even think the guide was following us at first. He didn't bother to check if anyone had a heart condition, or any other condition for that matter, that might prevent them from completing the trek. Some of the mud-caked group have gone kayaking this afternoon but I didn't bother: we have seen the limestone cliffs from the boat and I doubt there'd be lifejackets and with my track record with water, I've given it a miss. Better to be safe than sorry.
Will update again soon.
Ciao for now. x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home